You probably already know that filling your diet with power foods -- like dark leafy greens, dark chocolate, citrus, etc -- can help beat chronic conditions like heart disease and diabetes. Certain foods can also work wonders on your skin -- improving texture and fighting airborne toxins from the inside, much the same as plant-oil-based moisturizers are absorbed from the outside.
All those foods you love, like white bread, full-fat dairy, soft drinks, butter, and potatoes (“high-glycemic” foods), are negatively affecting both your age and your skin condition more quickly than you could imagine.
Foods like the ones listed above put you at a higher risk for a condition called Insulin Resistance. Insulin plays a vital role by releasing glucose into the body's cells. When insulin is low, glucose builds up in your bloodstream instead, resulting in waste products called Advanced Glycosylation End-Products, (AGEs). One danger of AGEs is that they can clog the very small blood vessels (microvascular system) throughout the body, especially in the kidneys, eyes, heart, and brain.
Collagen, one of the most important proteins in the skin, is affected by these AGEs, causing the fibrils of your skin to stiffen. Your skin becomes thinner and loses its elasticity, making you a prime candidate for wrinkles, fine lines, sagging, acne, and dark spots.
Scared? Worried? Fear not -- we have the solution! A diet rich in nutrients, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and probiotics is the best way to heal from within -- and you can do it while eating many of the foods you already love! Here is a short list of 5 foods you should add to your diet daily, if you havem't already... They are delicious, and so good for you!
- GARLIC - packed with antioxidants! Including Allicin, an anti inflammatory and Sulfenic Acid, which is helps remove free radicals from the body. Throw a clove or two (or three!) into your cooking, and you’re good to go!
- DARK CHOCOLATE - YES -- you’re welcome! Another antioxidant-rich food, dark chocolate helps slow down the signs of skin aging, and lowers blood pressure.
- BERRIES - blue, black, straw, rasp, doesn’t matter. The whole berry family is full of antioxidants and flavonoids. These are one of the best anti-aging foods and so, SO good!
- AVOCADO - loaded with vitamin B and E, which have a direct impact on cell metabolism, and protect from damage caused by free radicals.
- WATERMELON - improves circulation, full of antioxidants, with high levels of vitamin C to support collagen production. An added bonus: it's 92% water, which is vitally important in keeping your body (and skin) hydrated.