Winter is upon us and just as nature is curling up underground for a long slumber, the opposite is true above ground for us! Across shopping malls, around the globe, people are running around like busy elves, snapping up Holiday bargains, preparing family feasts, and making merry and bright at every turn.
Working against the natural rhythms of nature at this time of year can leave you Grumpy, Sleepy, Dopey, and not at all Happy at times! Not to mention Sneezy making an appearance just as your cousins from three states over arrive for a week-long stay.
So, although the season might be all about being jolly 24/7, make sure that you can maintain the pace by practicing a few self-care routines. You might just make it through to the new year without having to call Doc.
Why is Self-care Important?
The answer might seem obvious but so many people put self-care at the bottom of their holiday list. Excuses include, “it’s an indulgence,” “I don’t have time for it,” and “It keeps me stronger if I just push through.” Umm, actually, no. If you don’t take care of you first, you won’t be able to take care of the rest.
Both your physical and mental health need the respect and love that they deserve, in addition to regular maintenance to keep you happy and healthy. Would you run your car into the ground before putting in some maintenance?
Self-care reduces stress levels, increases energy, and lowers the risk of illness.
Simple Self-care at Home
Self-care doesn’t have to be complicated. It should be part of your regular routine and it can be done at home easily! Here are a few tips to get you started on your wellness routine:
- Take a walk! Even if you can only fit in 20 minutes during your lunch break from work, that boost in physical activity, not to mention the fresh air, will have you feeling more alert for the afternoon slump (and avoid Sleepy again).
- Eat at Regular Intervals. Don’t skip meals. It can affect your mood (think Grumpy), your concentration (bye-bye Dopey), and energy. Drink water and eat healthy!
- Get Regular Sleep. At some point, Sleepy is welcome, but make sure it’s at the right time, enough time, and at a regular Your circadian rhythm will stay in sync better, too.
- Remember Relaxation. Not an indulgence, but a necessity, so that you can keep doing what you’re doing. Build in some relaxation time to your day whether it involves reading a book, quiet time on your own, meditating, journaling or whatever else helps you to relax.
Extra Self-care Tips for the Holidays
Even if you’re remembering to do your self-care routines daily, the holiday season may throw in some extra challenges for you. Here’s a few more self-care tips that can specifically help you to get through the busy season:
- Avoid Triggers. The holiday season is difficult for lots of people due to family rifts, addiction triggers, loneliness, social anxiety, resurfaced memories. If you can, avoid these triggers, or minimize your connection with it, and put yourself first.
- Respect Limits and Boundaries. That holiday list not getting any shorter? Remember that no one is super(wo)man, and everyone has a limit. You don’t have to do everything. And you don’t have to go everywhere. Check in with yourself on how you’re feeling first.
- Treat Yourself. Give yourself a little extra something. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but it can be a reminder that you are special too, in the midst of attending to everyone else.
What We Recommend in Holiday Self-care at Your Body Needs
Here at Your Body Needs we are all about self-care. And, in addition to the amazing essential oils, such as lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) and sweet orange (Citrus sinensis), that we have instore to help with relaxation, we have some special wellness packages running through the holiday season! These include:
- VIP Wellness Package: Massages, facials, salt room upgrades, essential oils, Be Strong, All Clear, hydrosols, creams…. And so much more!
- Facial Wellness Package: Lots of special facials and massages with some top shelf add-ons.
- Massage Wellness Package: Massage, massage, and more massage, please! With some lymphatic drainage, salt room upgrades, and those luxurious (but necessary) aromatherapy add-ons.
If you’re in the Annapolis area, contact us for more information and get booked in for some essential self-care for the holidays. We look forward to seeing you and helping you leave with Happy at the top of your holiday list!