Long considered “decadent,” since its introduction to the western world centuries ago, rose (Rosa spp.) has good reason for its title “queen of oils.” This beautiful, luxurious essential oil is a girl’s best friend when it comes to skincare, no matter where you are on life’s journey. In addition, rose essential oil is an aphrodisiac, with many a love story to tell, making it the perfect oil to use for February!
Let’s see how rose essential oil can woo your love this valentine’s month.
Rose’s Love Story
Rose began its story (or so it is thought) in the Far East where it made its way to western shores through the trade routes and explorations of daring travelers of the time. Rose weaved its magic through Antony and Cleopatra’s love story, and that of Napoleon and Josephine, as well as many others over the years.
Although there are many species of rose it is damask rose (Rosa × damascena), rose de mai (Rosa centifolia) and white rose (Rosa × alba) which are most used in aromatherapy as essential oils and absolutes. Here, at Your Body Needs, we love using damask rose essential oil! It has a warm, deeply floral, slightly musky aroma.
Benefits of Rose for Aromatherapy
Rose essential oil is excellent for skincare use. It’s also used a lot for women’s issues from childbirth through menopause. Let’s take a closer look at what those specific uses are for using rose essential oil:
- Skincare: If you have sensitive, dry, or mature skin, you’ll benefit from rose essential oil. Its cell rejuvenating properties can smooth over wrinkles, manage blemishes, and help to relieve symptoms of eczema. It’s even beneficial in soothing the skin around sensitive baby’s bottoms!
- Women’s Reproductive Health: From pregnancy and childbirth (back pain, stretch marks and more) to menopause with hot flashes, dry skin, and mood swings, rose essential oil is there to balance out the body’s troubles.
- Emotional Health: Depression, insomnia, anxiety, stress. These are common problems in today’s world. Rose essential oil is the gentle carer, helping you to get through whatever troubles the day or week might bring.
- Aphrodisiac: Whether it’s date night in or out, adding rose essential oil into the mix is a sure win!
How We Use Rose Essential Oil
Our ever-popular Fifty is the New Thirty face oil is popular for a reason. It blends the perfect marriage of rose essential oil with frankincense, carrot seed, and clary sage essential oils – all perfect for mature skin! As if that wasn’t enough, the base oils of rosehip, avocado, and evening primrose oils make sure that your face never looked (or felt) as good!
Looking for some in-house treatments? Add rose essential oil to our Fifty is the New Thirty Facial or Express Facial.
How to Use Rose Essential Oil
Want to know how to use rose essential oil at home in your own skincare products and aromatherapy blends? Here are a few suggestions!
- Spring Ready Skin: If you have mature or dry skin, add our Fifty is the New Thirty face oil to your daily skincare routine. For additional benefits, use a toner of rose hydrosol after washing your face, and before applying the face oil.
- Sleep Well: Combine rose essential oil with clary sage essential oil in an aromatherapy diffuser, according to the aromatherapy manufacturer’s guidelines. Diffuse before bed to help manage insomnia or diffuse at home during the day to manage symptoms of depression, anxiety, or stress. Diffuse for periods of no longer than twenty minutes at a time. Make sure that the space is well ventilated. Care should be taken when diffusing around pets, babies, young children, women in pregnancy, and any other vulnerable populations.
- Valentine Night In: Combine rose essential oil with sandalwood essential oil for the ultimate romantic evening in! Add to an aromatherapy diffuser, according to the aromatherapy manufacturer’s guidelines. Diffuse for periods of no longer than twenty minutes at a time. Make sure that the space is well ventilated. Care should be taken when diffusing around pets, babies, young children, women in pregnancy, and any other vulnerable populations.
Cautions for Use: Avoid use in early pregnancy. Check contra-indications for other essential oils mentioned in this article before use.
Experience Rose with Your Body Needs
Rose essential oil is the jewel in the crown if you are looking to amp up your skincare routine, introduce some serenity into your life, or add some spark to your valentine’s night in. We know that you’ll fall in love with it!