Wrinkles are a natural part of getting older. But that doesn’t mean you have to live with them! There are some natural solutions to help you smooth out some of those well-worn lines and edges, especially on your face and neck area – and you can smell wonderful in the process! Doesn’t that sound like a win-win?
Let’s take a look at some of the best essential oils for wrinkles – and how you can use them in your daily skincare routine.
What Causes Wrinkles?
Wrinkles occur naturally due to the aging process but sometimes lifestyle choices play a part as well. If you can, make smart lifestyle choices now (or change those bad ones) and help to keep your skin in better shape.
Some external factors leading to wrinkles include:
- Thinning skin layers as you age.
- Lack of collagen proteins.
- Slower skin cell production.
- A lifetime of small muscle contractions on the face e.g., smiling, frowning, etc.
- Tobacco use.
- Excessive sun exposure/sunbathing/tanning beds.
- Environmental exposure e.g., pollution, dirt, smoke, dust, mechanical pollution.
- Failure to remove makeup can lead to clogged pores and eventually wrinkles.
How Can I Minimize Wrinkles?
A healthy diet, good hydration, quality sleep, regular skincare, and healthy lifestyle choices can help contribute to less wrinkles as you age. As part of that process, adding essential oils into your skincare routine can be helpful, too.
Best Essential Oils for Wrinkles
So, which essential oils are best to help combat wrinkles? There are quite a few but here are our favorites!
- Clary sage (Salvia sclarea) essential oil: Not always up there with the classics for mature skin, clary sage essential oil has many hidden talents, one of which is to help to regenerate skin cells. This essential oil packs a punch when combined with a classic like rose for wrinkles.
- Frankincense (Boswellia carteri) essential oil: As old as time itself, frankincense essential oil is a great oil to have to hand for restoration work to aging skin.
- Lemon (Citrus × limon) essential oil: A lemon lift might be just what your face needs to settle scores with wrinkled corners.
- Neroli (Citrus aurantium var. amara (flos)) essential oil: With a subtle, orange, floral flair, neroli essential oil comes face-to-face with wrinkles and sets about subtle reduction in areas that need smoothing out.
- Rose (Rosa × damascena) essential oil: This essential oil is specifically suited to mature skin and is a favorite among the ladies because of its versatile use for many female issues. Rose essential oil tackles wrinkles with finesse and floral power and is an essential for the over 50’s skincare routine.
- Sandalwood (Santalum album) essential oil: With a deep, soft woody note, sandalwood essential oil is as calming as it is soothing for unwanted wrinkles.
How to Use Essential Oils for Wrinkles
The best way to address wrinkle woes with essential oils is use them topically in an aromatherapy skincare blend. An all-round base oil such as jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis) is a good place to start. Here are some blend suggestions for combining jojoba oil with our recommended essential oils for wrinkles:
- Clary sage, rose, and frankincense essential oils
- Neroli, lemon, and clary sage essential oils
- Rose, sandalwood, and frankincense essential oils
- Lemon, sandalwood, and frankincense essential oils
- Rose and lemon essential oils.
For facial skincare blends, dilute essential oils to 1% of the overall blend. And remember to check for any other contra-indications for use. If in doubt, check with an aromatherapist (and we have one on staff!).
Your Body Needs’ Blends for Mature Skin
If you’re looking to grab and go with a blend which addresses the problem of wrinkles, look no further than these amazing blends we have in store, formulated by a professional aromatherapist:
More Information from Your Body Needs
Looking for more help or suggestions? Don’t forget that you can always reach out to us and we’ll be happy to recommend the best essential oils for your needs!